Thought Bubble Celebrates The Best In Young People’s Comics
♦Entries are now open for this year’s Thought Bubble Young People’s Comic Awards and here’s some info directly from them. They are looking for the best new comics and graphic novels aimed at a young audience. This award is run in partnership with Leeds Library and Information Service.
The British Comic Awards are sadly not taking place in 2017, but we really wanted the Young People’s Award to go ahead so that all the reading groups who get involved each year can discover a whole load of amazing new comics!
Here are the details for any UK-based creators or publishers who might want to submit your work for consideration:
- The work must have been published for the first time between 1st September 2016 and 31st August 2017.
- The closing date for submissions is Friday 28 July 2017. We are happy to receive advance copies of work due to be released in August.
- Each entry must be accompanied by a full PDF copy of the work.
- This award is open to all short-form and long-form stories and collections suitable for children. This may include one-off stories, single issues of ongoing series, graphic novellas, short stories from anthologies, web comic strips, original graphic novels, collected editions, literary adaptations, longer anthologies or a substantial body of work available to read digitally.
- In the case of weekly or monthly anthology titles, the individual strips must be submitted as a collection. For example: 52 issues of The Beano cannot be accepted as one entry, but 52 weeks worth of Dennis the Menace strips can be.
- Nominated titles must be the work of a British based creative team, and the rights to such work should belong to either the creators or a UK publisher. Work by non-UK citizens is eligible if they have resided in the UK for over three years outside of education.
- If the title is chosen as a shortlisted nominee, the creator/ publisher may be asked to donate approximately 15 copies of their title for all the participating schools and libraries who will judge the winner.
If your comic meets all the criteria then please send an email with the following info to [email protected]:
Publisher (if applicable)
Date of Publication
Format (Print, Digital, Online)
A PDF attachment of the work
Please mark your email ‘Thought Bubble Young People’s Comic Award 2017’. The shortlisted titles for the award will be chosen by our committee of judges, who read every entry submitted and then privately choose their Top 5. These votes are then collated to decide the final shortlist. Our Committee this year is:
Abby Bulmer – Cartoonist, illustrator and Travelling Man employee @abbyryder
Nadia Shireen – Children’s book illustrator, writer and journalist @nadiashireen
David Monteith – Actor, Tutor, Director and co-founder of Geek Syndicate @davidmonteith
Tom Oldham – Co-founder of Breakdown Press and Events Manager at Gosh! @trenchtorso
Woodrow Phoenix – Comic book artist and writer, illustrator, author of children’s books @mrphoenix
The nominated titles are then sent out to participating schools and public library reading groups and are read, discussed and voted for by young people. Most of the schools are based in and around Leeds although schools nationwide take part too.
The Thought Bubble Young People’s Comic Award is managed by Martha Julian and Bess Martin (Thought Bubble) and Debbie Moody (Leeds Library).
The winners will be announced in December 2017.
For further information visit the website www.thoughtbubblefestival.com