Get Caught In Her Scales
Starzplay, the international premium streaming service from STARZ, announced today Golden Globe winner, two-time Academy Award and two-time BAFTA Award-nominated actress, Samantha Morton (Minority Report, “Harlots,” “The Walking Dead”), has been cast to star as the nefarious Catherine de Medici in the new STARZ Original series “The Serpent Queen” – the dark legend centered on de Medici – from writer and executive producer Justin Haythe (Revolutionary Road, Red Sparrow, The Lone Ranger). The series will also be executive produced by Francis Lawrence (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2) ) and Erwin Stoff (The Matrix, 13 Hours, Edge of Tomorrow). Stacie Passon (“Transparent,” “Dickinson,” “Billions”) will direct multiple episodes, including the premiere episode.
Exemplifying the network’s #TakeTheLead commitment, “The Serpent Queen” is a cunning account of one of the most influential women ever to wear a crown. Considered an immigrant, common and plain, Catherine de Medici is married into the 16th century French court as an orphaned teenager expected to bring a fortune in dowry and produce many heirs, only to discover that her husband is in love with an older woman, her dowry is unpaid and she’s unable to conceive. Yet, only with her intelligence and determination, she manages to keep her marriage alive and masters the bloodsport that is the monarchy better than anyone else, ruling France for 50 years.
Based on the book Catherine de Medici: Renaissance Queen of France by Leonie Frieda, the eight-episode series is produced for STARZ by Lionsgate Television and 3 Arts Entertainment.
“The Serpent Queen” will air on STARZ in the U.S. and Canada and on its international premium streaming platform Starzplay across its complete footprint in Europe, Latin America, and Japan.
Starzplay subscribers have access to an exclusive line-up of premium programming including STARZ Original limited series “The Spanish Princess” and the explosive second chapter in the “Power” Universe, “Power Book II: Ghost” starring Mary J. Blige the same day they launch in the US; 2020 Emmy-nominated series such as the thought-provoking millennial comedy “Ramy” from Muslim-American comedian Ramy Youssef, the genre-bending period dramedy “The Great” starring Elle Fanning and Nicholas Hoult, and the award-winning series “The Act” starring Academy Award Winner Patricia Arquette and Joey King; plus a blockbuster movie library featuring thousands of titles.
- The STARZPLAY App for iOs and Android is available for download on the iPhone and iPad, as well as on a wide range of Android supported devices. Up to four users can watch simultaneously and enjoy offline downloads of select shows and movies. App users can enjoy personalized recommendations of shows and movies based on users’ previous viewing interests and select their preferred language for audio or captions.
- STARZPLAY is available on PRIME VIDEO CHANNELS via the Prime Video App to watch anytime, anywhere on smart TVs, iOS and Android mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, Fire tablets and games consoles and through the web at www.amazon.co.uk/channels.
- Subscribers to the STARZPLAY channel on the APPLE TV App can watch online or enjoy offline downloads of their favorite shows and movies available through STARZPLAY, which is available on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and select Samsung smart TVs.
- VIRGIN TV customers who add the STARZPLAY subscription to their package will be able to view the content by pressing Home on their V6 remote control and then clicking On Demand followed by Box Sets.
- STARZPLAY is available on ROKU STREAMING PLAYERS AND ROKU TV models.
- STARZPLAY is accessible via the RAKUTEN TV pre-installed app on Smart TVs and its branded remote control across the main TV manufacturers, allowing users direct access to the platform.
Starz continues to grow its global footprint with its ongoing expansion of the Starzplay international premium streaming platform. Starzplay’s rapid expansion into more than 55 countries since its launch in May of 2018 is driven by its ability to provide subscribers access to the “best in global SVOD.” The content offering is comprised of the entire catalog of STARZ premium content, with upcoming STARZ Originals airing exclusively on STARZPLAY day-and-date with the US, exclusive award-winning and critically acclaimed first-run series and a vast library of blockbuster feature films. STARZPLAY is available through its direct-to-consumer app in 13 countries; on global digital broadcast services, multi-channel video distributors, telecommunications companies; and other online and digital platforms across its footprint spanning across Canada, Europe, India, Indonesia, Japan and Latin America.
Combining the STARZ premium global subscription platform with world-class motion picture and television studio operations, Lionsgate (NYSE: LGF.A, LGF.B) brings a unique and varied portfolio of entertainment to consumers around the world. Its film, television, subscription and location-based entertainment businesses are backed by a 17,000-title library and the largest collection of film and television franchises in the independent media space. A digital age company driven by its entrepreneurial culture and commitment to innovation, the Lionsgate brand is synonymous with bold, original, relatable entertainment for the audiences it serves worldwide.
About 3 Arts Entertainment
3 Arts Entertainment is a talent/literary management and production company, with 26 years of experience. We have offices in Beverly Hills and New York and have clients in the TV and Film Lit world, acting world, hosting world, branded areas, digital media and more. Our clients range from personalities like Jessica Alba and Chrissy Teigen to movie stars like Chris Evans, Rob Pattinson, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Kevin Hart and Craig Robinson to TV stars like Mindy Kaling and Debra Messing, among many others. 3 Arts also represents some of the greatest writers and directors in the business, such as Greg Daniels, Mike Judge and Francis Lawrence. We currently executive produce over 30 shows on the air. Some of our shows include: “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia,” “Master of None,” “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt,” “Insecure,” and “Brooklyn Nine-Nine.”